Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bryn's Story


Bryn Hagfors is a senior from Great Falls, Montana studying economics and political science. In his spare time, he enjoys fishing, hunting, hiking, and, whenever possible, reading. Bryn is also the vice president of ASUM.

I am straight. I always have been, and I always (I think it is very safe to assume) will be. I also happen to be a male. Oh, and did I mention I’m white? I think that means that if I were a flavor of ice cream, I’d be even more generic than vanilla; probably more like a chilled Greek yogurt. 

To me, none of my aforementioned personal information above has any real consequences. None of it reveals value judgments that I choose to make (except that I find Greek yogurt incredibly bland and rather disgusting). None of it means that I am right for being any of those things. And above all, none of it means that anyone else is wrong for not being any of those things.

Because of this, I simply cannot imagine what it would be like to have anything about me rejected systematically. I cannot fathom being written off or marginalized because of who I am. That is why, even as a straight man, I stand in firm solidarity with those not currently covered under MUS policy 703. This is why as an elected student leader I will be doing all that I can to get this policy changed.

Universities are not in the business of defining attraction. In fact, universities are not in the business of defining or perpetuating societal norms at all. Rather, universities are places of diversity; diversity of thought, political opinion, belief, ambition, and so much more. This makes me wonder: how does the Montana University System claim to promote this diversity while simultaneously denying equal protections to a community adding to it?

We all have an opportunity to do the right thing today. As students, faculty, staff, and friends of the Montana University System, we have the opportunity to advocate for our peers and friends so that they may realize the same protections that most of us enjoy. As a state university system, we have the opportunity to be a leader and signal our commitment to accepting all within our community. Perhaps most importantly, the Board of Regents has the opportunity to change its policies to reflect the culture of inclusion in which all universities strive to exist.  

Special thanks to Bryn for his honesty, time, and willingness to share his thoughts with us.
If you are a Montana University System LGBTQAI or Ally student, staff,  Alumnus, or faculty, we want to share your story, too! 
Email us at 703equality@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment